Sunday, September 9, 2018

Bokonbaevo, end of the road


For me that’s the end of my Kyrgyz bicycle trip.
The mountains and life over 2000 meters altitude is rude, cold and dry. Places where to buy food are scarce in many regions, and keep your food fresh is another problem.
I loved Kyrgyzstan, it’s a magic place, full of beauty, and wonderful people, I think even coming back but earlier in the summer, beginning of July would be nice, to avoid the cold mountain nights.
Water in many places is not a problem, but in some regions like around Yssik-Kul lake if you go off the beaten path you should be prepared, as there is plenty of water in the lake, but a bit salty to drink...

 





Klara my host in Bokonbaevo, a strong woman with beautiful heart and wonderful guest house.
On my way I’ve chosen the hard way, started with a very hard climb and long journey to and through Tien-Shan mountains, I’ve met just a group of 4 people on the climb up and a family later, I’ve spend 12 days washing in cold rivers, most of the time cooking my meals, and pitching my tent in solitude.
People told me, you will meet plenty of cyclists on the road, I did not, especially the first two weeks.
I guess tourists follow some books with some roads and places, so they will definitely meet each other every now and than. But Kyrgyz mountains and plateaus are so numerous and vast... If you have a bicycle, than you have more freedom to reach or go places where few people adventures (other than local shepherds).


One guy, I’ve met, while taking a swim in Yssik-Kul lake.
He really loved to swim underwater in the clear wonderful waters of the lake, we did not talk much... Just watched the infinite landscape.

I’ve had many flat tires with my wonderful 29+ mountain bike. I’ve had so many flat tires from nasty thorns that I’ve run out of patches... And patience... I actually fear of getting out in the mountains, as I don’t have anymore patches or spare tubes, it’s all gone! Next time I do plan a bicycle trip I should carefully check the vegetation growing in the place I want to visit, and consequently prepare my wheels for that.


Andres from Spain, one month in Kyrgyzstan traveler with his Trek 950 mule.

Snow start to fall, up in the mountains; a couple of hikers sleeping at Klara guest house, are preparing for a five days hike. Me I’m looking at the mountains and wait for tomorrow to go back to Bishkek.


8 comments:

  1. Quando sei partito da Mosca e quanti copertoni hai cambiato fino adesso?
    Coraggio Philicka... goditi il paesaggio e fai ancora foto....
    Posso pubblicare su Instagram la tua foto con lo sfondo del lago Yssik-Kul?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Copertoni 0 camera d'aria 3... Patch per camera d'aria 25.….
      Vai pubblica 😉

      Delete
  2. Copertoni 0 camera d'aria 3... Patch per camera d'aria 25.….
    Vai pubblica 😉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Philip! Difficult conditions to live for nearly a month alone in the mountains with cold nights and dry mountain air - that's a serious test for men! You have passed this journey successfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Спасибо папа, такая великолепное путешествие

      Delete
    2. Я очень рад, что ты хорошо отдохнул. И ещё больше рад, что твоё совсем не безопасное путешествие закончилось благополучно. Всё же лучше путешествовать в экстремальных условиях не одному ;))

      Delete
  4. Philip, tell me pls: what was the most difficult thing in your Cycling trip to the mountains of Kyrgyzstan?And what did you like most about this country?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Altitude hard on the body and on the mind, cold dry weather, your skin gets reallly bad with dry weather, no warm showers for two weeks, flat tires...

    People are really nice in Kyrgyzstan, and the country in it self it’s spectacular in geographic differences. Night time watching the stars, that’s really mind blowing

    ReplyDelete