Saturday, August 25, 2018

Going up, Kegeti mnt pass, 3800m

As I woke up I saw the beautiful blue sky, time to keep going, I packed my stuff, and sad hello to oncle Vitya.
From 2000 meters to 3800... That was a long day.
On a European road it’s ok, hard but ok... On a Kyrgyz road is much harder.
In many places you just go through, holding your breath, wishing for the stones sleeping above your head to keep steady and stay in place.




Yes the mountain roads are dangerous in Kyrgyzstan, dangerous, steep and beautiful. The beauty is all around, I saw a kind of eagle, a Bearded Vulture flying not far from, it is really impressive to see such large bird in the air.
Sometime you cross the road with some sleepy shepherd, and all the sheeps that keep munching the fresh grass automatically. Sometime (happen just once) a group of cyclists going up to Kegeti mountain pass.
They were impressed as I was much more loaded than they were, and I was cutting down dry branches to make some fire in the cold high altitudes.
The road was long, with higher climbs every now and than, and the more I was climbing up, the more I was feeling "bizarre", high altitude and climbing up with bicycle are a bit hard to manage.
Every 100 meters elevation was getting harder after 2800 meters. I was feeling powerless, mentally and physically.
  The worst was after 3000 meters. The road got bad, big stones, high percentage, I had no power, but no way to setup a camp up there, in the middle of the stones and inhospitable conditions.
The last 200 meters elevation I had to push bicycle and trailer through the stones. I guess I’ve made a pause every 20 or 30 meters... It took more the one hour to came by the last 200 meters.
Once on the top... I let you see the pictures... The road was non-existing, it was all ravine, all rocks, everything went down sometime ago making the southern part of the Kegeti mountain pass unreachable or hardly.

To make it even more interesting it was 7pm the sunlight was dying the cold air was getting colder, the telephone died leaving me without a map, and I had to choose which way, as the road was totally messed up. I took the wrong way... Anyway thanx to the weight of the trailer I did 20 meters downhill very fast (I was sliding down), almost broke everything, and got the scare of the day.
I landed on the good path, took the light of the bicycle and kept the descent, obviously by foot, holding the bicycle breaks.
After the worst part, the road was ok...
In the dark I’ve found a spot, put the tent, got some dry apricots, water and bread, and the fire...
I was happy.
Until the next day.
(Harder than expected)






Beautiful road, Kegeti mountain pass southern side, altitude 3800 Meters 
No photoshopped nose!








3 comments: